Sleep problems can happen to anyone. These can range from having difficulty sleeping, frequent waking episodes at night and sleep deprivation.
Inability to have a good night’s sleep can totally affect you physically, mentally and emotionally. Don’t let sleeping problems affect your life.
There are several things you can do to naturally help you sleep without the need of sleeping pills.
- Exercise – Studies show that by engaging in exercise at least 3-4 times a week can help improve sleep. Stress can be the source of insomnia. Exercise is a good stress reliever which helps in promoting sleep. You’ll get a good, deep sleep with exercise.
- Diet – What you eat plays an important role in sleep. Caffeine is a stimulant that may cause sleeplessness and difficulty sleeping. You can find them in sodas, tea, coffee and chocolates. If you have problems with insomnia, try to avoid foods with caffeine. There are foods you can eat that promote a good sleep at night. Try drinking a glass of warm milk before you sleep. You can also eat crackers or any non sweet food at bedtime. These contain tryptophan which can be converted to serotonin then melatonin which promotes sleepiness and good sleep.
- Relaxation Techniques – There are techniques you can do to help you fall asleep. Yoga is a very good practice. It combines meditation, flexibility exercises and breathing that can totally improve sleep. It releases all the tension and stress in your body. Meditation is one way to promote sleep. Deep breathing exercises can help calm you down when you’re tense. It relaxes the body to help you become sleepy.
- Environment – The environment where you sleep should also be inviting to make you feel sleepy. Organize your room and keep it neat and clean. It’s always best to sleep in a room which is not messy. Turn off the lights or use a dim light and adjust the thermostat of your air conditioner to which you are comfortable. A room which is dark and cool is relaxing. You can also try listening to soft music and relaxing music to relieve insomnia. Music shouldn’t be loud because it can only aggravate insomnia.
- Herbs – Herbs are helpful because they are effective in treating insomnia. Valerian and Kava are popular herbs that are used widely for insomnia. Valerian has a calming effect and works on the neurotransmitters for sleep. What’s great with it is that it is non addictive. For people who are stressed and anxious due to work or problems, kava is a great herb. It relaxes the body and decreases anxiety to promote sleep.
These are natural ways to promote sleep. It’s always best to try first natural methods that are safe without any side effects to solve sleeping problems.
Don’t allow yourself to wake up again to another day without sleep. Your body needs sleep to function well and you’ll feel better with a good sleep.
Have adequate sleep every night and you’ll see an improvement in your health.